Saturday, October 25, 2014

5 Hard Truths From the Person Reading Your Resume

Resume_reading
Feed-twFeed-fb

Resumes are very personal documents. In fact, whenever I'm reviewing a resume, I always ask permission before I mark it up. Who am I to edit your life's work?


That said, I can almost guarantee you that the way your career counselor handles your resume is not the way it will be handled once you submit your job applications. After speaking with many, many recruiters, here are some hard truths I've learned.


1. If your relevant experience, education, or skills are hard to find at a glance, your resume might as well be blank.


It's understandable to want to make your resume stand out a bit from the typical resume, but getting creative in InDesign isn't the way to do it. As the head of Google's HR states, "Unless you're applying for a job such as a designer or artist, your focus should be on making your resume clean and legible." Read more...

More about Job Search, Business, Jobs, Resume Tips, and Career Advice
5 Hard Truths From the Person Reading Your Resume

No comments: