Thursday, April 3, 2014

Artist Turns Your Brainwaves Into 3D-Printed Sculptures

Header2
Feed-twFeed-fb

I'm sitting in artist Ion Popian's light-filled Long Island City, N.Y., studio. A NeuroSky electroencephalogram (EEG) sensor presses against my temple and forehead. I watch a TV screen, where abstract shapes flit and mutate in crisp 4K resolution.


Behind me, a computer measures my brain activity, mapping it as a 3D model. This model initially looks like a piece of paper, a flat plane. When my brainwaves register concentration in response to the film, a dimple appears in the plane; when they register calm, the surface pushes upward into a peak


"We can't map specific emotions: anger or sadness or happiness," Popian explains. "Instead, we're mapping intensities." Read more...

More about Art, Features, Design, Science, and Architecture


Artist Turns Your Brainwaves Into 3D-Printed Sculptures

No comments: